Meetings are the 1st Friday of every month.
The names Butler and Johnson are those of the great, great grandfathers of the organizing regent and four other charter members. Butler was the family name on the mother’s side during the Revolutionary times. Samuel Butler was born in Connecticut in 1743, and died in Vermont in 1797. Johnson is the father’s family name. Rufus Johnson was a signer of the Oath of Fidelity, September 28, 1776, at Coventry, Rhode Island. He was in service in Rhode Island and Vermont as private, sergeant, and lieutenant. He received a pension September 5, 1832, while living at Granville, New York. He was born at Coventry, Rhode Island, in 1753, and died at Hoosick, New York, in 1837.
Butler-Johnson chapter was organized June 17, 1915, with twelve members in Sutton, NE. The charter was granted June 30, 1916. Mrs. Charles M. Brown was the organizing regent of this chapter. It is the privilege granted the regent to name the chapter; it was the desire and suggestion of the members that the chapter be named in honor of Mrs. Brown’s ancestors “Butler-Johnson”.
Mrs. Charles M. Brown was the first regent of the chapter, serving from 1915-1917. The four descendants of Rufus Johnson were Emma Bishop Yaple, Nellie Bishop Strong, Victoria Bishop Curtiss, and Marion Bishop Brown. The other charter members were Ida Tower Tooker, Josephine Silver, Mary R. Silver Nelson, Elvira Stevens Kendall, Anna Stenson Hanke, Claudia Willey Griess, Alice R. Dunham, Jessie M. Case, Mary Humphrey Bennett and Mary Ester Bemis.
The chapter erected a staff on the city library building, and on April 28, 1917, presented the flag, the dedication being a subject of proclamation by the mayor who, with many citizens and about four hundred school children, assisted in the first public flag-raising ceremonies at Sutton, NE.
In 1929, a Well Marker was erected on the Kansas Nebraska Dakota Highway (US 14) south of Aurora, NE.
On June 23, 1933, the Luther French Home (a dugout) was marked with a suitable ceremony. The Luther French home was the first home in Sutton and held the first post office. David Bryant Chapter of York assisted with the dedication of a temporary marker at the site of the dugout.
K. Jean Hultine researched the history of Farmers Valley Cemetery. She compiled an accounting of the people interred therein making a 255 page book. A copy was sent to National in Washington, DC and a copy was placed in the Lue R. Spencer Library in Grand Island.
Butler-Johnson Chapter located a pioneer gravesite and helped return it to prairie conditions. The Francis Huff gravesite is northwest of the Pawnee Ranch Barn on the Alvin Paus farm south of Spring Ranch.