On the first day of
October 1896, the following approved members of the National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution: Nellie Belle Fitch Crane, Mary McClelland
Irwin Creigh, Anna Fister Doyle, Isabelle Doyle, Mary Postlethwaite Doyle,
Ellenore Elizabeth Dutcher, Margaret Elizabeth Dutcher Alexander, Elma Lanphear
Jaynes, Margaret Emma Doyle Pickens, Anna Fitch Skinner, Martha Lydia Poland
Thurston, Elizabeth Isabella Maxwell Allan Tukey, Harriet Dexter McCloud Ware,
Emma Elizabeth Doyle Wilderman and Euphemia Righter Wood, under the authorization
of the National Board of Management, organized a chapter of the Daughters of
the American Revolution in the city of Omaha, state of Nebraska, to be known as
the Omaha Chapter. The following
officers were chosen: Mrs. Henry S.
Jaynes as Regent, Mrs. Alonzo P. Tukey as Vice Regent, Miss E.E. Dutcher as
Secretary, Mrs. L.S. Skinner as Registrar, Mrs. Lyman E. Ware as Treasurer,
Mrs. Edward A. Crane as Historian.
This chapter steadily
increased in membership, accomplishing much good work. In 1899, there were 73 members. The Historian’s report for that year is the
first one on file.
Being the first chapter
organized in the city of Omaha, it was given the name of its home city, which
derived its name from the Omaha tribe of Indians which had lived on the
townsite as early as 1650. The name
“Omaha” means “Those going against the wind”.
The legend is that in a great battle which the Omaha Indians waged in
the early history of the state, every warrior of their enemy tribe was killed,
except one, who was cast, wounded into the swift current of the river. He escaped by swimming against the current
to a point far above where he was thrown into the stream. As he left the water on the opposite side, he
lifted his right arm and defiantly exclaimed, “E-roma-ha”. The conquerors interpreted this as an
exclamation meaning fortitude and courage.
Accordingly, they took part of this euphonious exclamation of the last
surviving member of the foe as their tribal name, “Omaha”.
The Omahas are one of the five tribes of the so-called Dhegiba (or Dakota) groups of the Siouan family, the other four being Kansa, Quapau, Osage and Ponca. Lewis and Clark found the Omahas on the south side of the Missouri
River, opposite Sioux City in 1800. In
1802, the Omahas were greatly reduced in number by a small pox epidemic. In 1854, when the government made the
relinquishment treaty with them, they owned vast tracts south of the Missouri
River and north of the Platte River. The treaty was liberal in terms and very satisfactory to all.
Logan Fontenelle was
chief of the Omahas when the treaty was made.
He was of French parentage, his father having come to this section of
the country in 1824, and taking an Indian woman as his wife. His eldest son, Logan Fontenelle, was a
remarkable figure, active, with quick perception and beloved by all who knew
him. He died at the age of thirty,
battling against the Sioux. The
Fontenelle flag, a large United States flag, is one of the prized possessions
of the Omaha Chapter.
This chapter has over 150
members who range from 18 – 92 years of age. Our members are college students, young mothers, members of the
military, members of the work force, active volunteers and retirees. Each member has a unique facet to offer the